Resources from Speakers
The following resources have been provided by our speakers.
June 10, 2019. Guest speaker Roxanne Walsh, an End of Life Guide and Consultant, spoke to us about Green Burials as an alternative to embalming or cremation and conventional burials. She shared her presentation from the Green Burial Society, of which she is a Director.
May 13, 2019 guest speaker Stace Wills, with Innovate Calgary, U of C, spoke about the boom in technology research and investment.
An announcement came on May 16th, 2019 that a U of C medical researcher, supported by Innovate Calgary, received a $1 billion investment for his spinoff company, Parvus Therapeutics:https://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/calgary-medical-research-company-signs-1b-deal-to-develop-new-drugs-for-autoimmune-diseases
Health and Wellness
Latin American Issues Speaker Series
CALL, in partnership with the U of C's Latin American Research Centre (LARC), presents the monthly Latin American Issues Speaker Series.
LARC also offers a variety of cultural, political and social events and presentations, which are free and open to the public.
For more information, visit larc.ucalgary.ca
Science and Environment Speaker Series
Science and Environment STEM and STEAM Resources (pdf) by Paula Hollohan
From the group Climate Change: Where Do We Go Next?, facilitated by Tom Kerwin.
1. A Canadian newsletter that compiles mostly good news on the energy front; https://mailchi.mp/cleanenergycanada/jul32018-1862085?e=c597ef529c
2. A new Canadian webzine focusing on the environment and energy issues in western Canada: https://thenarwhal.ca/3. An article re solar installation prospects: https://t.co/abtqGZ9ojZ?amp=1
4. Climate Change and Food (pdf)
Local: Verge Permaculture: vergepermaculture.ca ; Permaculture Calgary: permaculturecalgary.org
International: Land restoration: Land Institute www.landinstitute.org ; Elaine Ingham www.soilfoodweb.com
5. Climate Change and Health - Recommended reading:
6. Calgary-based ENGOs you might consider joining or supporting:
7. Resources on Transportation
• A Global News piece about Canada's love affair with big trucks, including a revealing graph of fuel costs/consumption - tripling the cost of gasoline, as in Spain ($2.25 USD x 1.35), is a big factor in halving average fuel consumption: https://globalnews.ca/news/5259474/canada-fuel-economy-cars/
Energy Efficiency Alberta note:
Energy Efficiency Alberta https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/
This government agency has been doing a great job in both increasing awareness and uptake of energy upgrades and in making renewable energy more accessible to Albertans. It may be on the chopping block. Some may wish to contact their local MLA and/or the new Minister of Environment and Parks at: firstname.lastname@example.org to recommend that EEA be retained.
A few resources:
1. Georgia Strait article on Canada's proposed Green New Deal:
2. The Guardian review of David Wallace Wells' The Uninhabitable Earth
3. Book: Active Hope: How to Face the Mess We're in Without Going Crazy, by Joanna Macy and Chris Johnstone. Published by New World Library.
4. An article from the May 20/19 New York Times on how the U.S. EPA will show a dramatic decrease in pollution-related deaths ... by rejigging the math. Climate Change - EPA Changes the Math.pdf
Hearing Loss 101 by Dr. Carrie Scarff
Elder Abuse Prevention
Exploring Yoga: The Science of Joy
Patanjali Yoga Sutras
e.g., Translated by Thomas Egenes: https://www.amazon.ca/Maharishi-Patanjali-S%C5%ABtra-Thomas-Egenes/dp/142189131X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499442196&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=patanjali+yoga+sutra+egenes
e.g., Translated by Swami Venkatesananda: https://www.amazon.ca/Vasisthas-Yoga-Swami-Venkatesananda/dp/0791413640/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499442279&sr=8-1&keywords=vasistha%27s+yoga
Who Are You … Really: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUtH0DDJorM
The Science Behind Yoga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipp-gjAxbXw
Eckert Tolle: https://www.eckharttolle.com/
The Age of Love Comes to CALL – Seeking Love After 70
To view the trailer, please visit the film’s website at The Age of Love